Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pardon my venting

This past week has been a rough one. A few months ago I was hired onto the supply list for the London area, which is really nice but not where I live. I had been told by a few teachers and VPs that the Guelph area supply list would open in June or July. This has not happened and now I am hearing that it won't open, if at all until October. So now I am at a crossroads in my life :) Almost poetic.
I can stick around here and hope I get on the supply list, hope it even opens.
I can move to the London area and pick up supply work there.
I can move to Calgary...just kidding.
So tomorrow I'm heading to St. Thomas near London to check it out, see if I might like living there. I have some good friends there so I'll be stopping by to say hi.
The thing that really bothers me is I've been here in Guelph for over a year and I still don't belong here. I don't fit in. I've met a few people supplying at a few schools in town, but no one I hang out with. I work part-time at a hair salon but don't hang out with anyone from there. I hang out with my brother but have never hung out with any of his uni friends, and the one time I invited myself along to one of his uni parties I had to be uninvited because it was at his Prof's house and he wasn't up for any 'extras'. (Have I mentioned that the prof is a bit off?)
I play soccer but don't really click with anyone. I signed up for small community courses through continuing ed. and the community centre. Of the 4 I signed up for over the past year, all but one was cancelled. I just seem to pick the wrong things.
So as you can see I'm not feeling much connection to Guelph, no sense of loss to leaving. Except that I put in time and effort here and it didn't pay off. It makes me wonder if it's even worth trying. I mean if everything I did here didn't work out whose to say it will work out anywhere else.
St. Thomas is smaller and whose to say I could ever fit in there. The one advantage is I do have friends there. Married with kids friends which as much as I love them and their kids it's a different kind of friendship when little ones come along. Conversations are spoken around kids speaking and playing, evenings end early and activities are not at all spontaneous or planned last minute. My last year has been almost exclusively last minute plans. Had to be as I am continually waiting for a phone call.
How do I meet single, pool playing, artists in this world?

Oh yeah, I've decided I really like artists. My best friend in Oz, Yolande is an artist. And my cousin has been furthering her artistic abilites by learning stained glass. And I love doing pottery, not that I've done it in years, perhaps I could get back to that.

So, it seems as though my life is, once again, changing. Any advice and/or encouragement is greatly appreciated.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 a.m. , Blogger TheBrummell said...

Hi Ruth,

Sorry to hear about the continuing chaos.

None of my friends are artists, sadly, and few of them even seem interested in playing pool. I was overworked in the spring and of course away this summer, but this fall I'll be in Guelph and I intend to take a little bit of time away from school. Perhaps we can go play some pool at a place in Guelph? I'll invite the few friends I have at uni, but they're generally pretty busy, too. Still, an evening spent knocking pool balls around a table every now and then would be good.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but London's really not so far away, and it sounds like getting a teaching job might require lots of flexibility. If you move, I'll miss hanging out with your crazy cats, though.

Venting is what blogs are for, in my opinion, so there's no reason to apologize.

I'll see you soon.

Martin

 
At 11:07 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking out the blog.
Glad things are now moving forward.
Love MOM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home