Let me tell you about last weekend.
I drove to Milton on Saturday to visit with my Aunt and Uncle who have a few acres which include a pond and parts of a small forest. My aunt had invited me out to try some jewelry making and we sat in the front room creating and talking. While we were talking a man came up to the door. His name is Billy Parker and he told us he was riding his bike all the way to the East coast. He said he was from Edmonton and had got a lift to Winnipeg back in March and then cycled the rest of the way. We thought he might be asking for money for a charity but what he really wanted was to camp on the land. When we said that would be okay he asked if he could sleep in the tent trailer that my aunt and uncle had open in the driveway airing out. Yes of course. And we invited him to join us for BBQ. We sat out on the back enclosed porch and just as we were about to serve up the dinner he requested a paper plate so he could eat it later. We were confused and my aunt asked if he was going to stay for dinner or not. He said he would stay and 'chew the fat' and then eat in the trailer. Weird but whatever. After apparently cycling most of the day he sat there with a huge pile of food on his plate and talked while we ate. Very odd man. He talked about the most random things ever. Every sentence was about a completely different topic. I think he'd be very good at trivial pursuit, but he's not good at conversation. When he'd tell us something like the fact that the Chinese language has 2000 characters (I have no idea if that's true) and he wondered how they used a keyboard. My aunt, knowing I'd lived in Taiwan looked to me. I commented that the keyboards definitely did not have 2000 keys and that they likely used sound symbols that the kids use when first learning Chinese. And then Bill jumped right to a different topic. Couldn't stay on one topic for more than a minute or two. After a bit I think we just gave up trying and just listened. After dinner he went off to the the trailer and was gone in the morning when my uncle went out to offer him coffee.
My aunt and uncle do not have internet so I had to wait till I got home on Sunday to look up Bill online. Turns out he has been cycling around Ontario for 5 years!
http://therecord.blogs.com/take_the_lane/2008/05/corss-country-c.html
So if he one day shows up at your door, he's odd but harmless.
Following that I headed to my friend Angie's baby shower in Toronto. We all met at her brother's amazing home in the Avenue Rd. and Lawrence area. It was the first time I'd met his wife and two beautiful boys. Angie looked great and I think everyone had a good time. I had been asked to come up with a game for the party. I went online and hunted around. I brought 8 jars of baby food and removed the labels. Then anyone who participated had to taste each delicacy and record their best guess on a card which I later checked to see who had gotten the most right. It was funny and more successful than I thought it was. And the left overs went to little Jack who seemed to nap through most of the event.
I also got to meet Natalia's little one. He is two months old and his name is Lucas Patrick. He has the biggest eyes ever and he can hold his head up! Nat looked great and looked so put together. Turns out she'd been ready at 1:30 but Lucas took charge and she didn't get out of her place till 3pm. I don't have kids but I think with babies, that's pretty normal.
I'm looking forward to meeting baby Kwan who I believe is due about July 10th. Marvan and Ang are very independent and I think it will be a big shock to have a little being running their lives.
Wonderful Winter 2012!
All of it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home